I sit here and am overwhelmed with where to start because there is so much going on here in the Dominican Republic and in my life! I thought God was just calling me here to be the 2nd grade teacher at Doulos Discovery School, but I am learning that he was actually calling me to so much more. Of course, when we are in Christ he has every part of us and is in control of every part of our lives. So really, no matter where we are, our whole being is His instrument.
In my last update I asked you to pray for high school kids at Doulos that were going to Young Life camp. Well, we (myself and two other teachers) ended up taking about 14 kids to Pico Escondido, the Young Life camp here. It was an incredible weekend. We had so much fun and I was able to build some great relationships with some of our high school kids that I hope last a lifetime. (Just some quick Young Life information for those of you that are not familiar with it. It is an outreach ministry for high school kids that focuses on loving them no matter what they believe or where they are in life. We have what you call Young Life Club once a week and it is a place for kids to come, have fun, build relationships with their leaders and hear the gospel in a fun, new way.) So there is a Young Life camp here, but there isn’t a Young Life Club here in Jarabacoa. There is Young Life in Santiago and they were hoping to get it started here in Jarabacoa. That is why we wanted to take kids to camp. So that we could give them a taste of what Young Life is. Well, since we had such an incredible weekend at camp we decided to start a Young Life Club here in Jarabacoa. On Tuesday, December 1st we had the first Young Life Club in Jarabacoa. It was amazing. Kids showed up, they had a blast and I was privileged to be able to talk to them about a guy named Jesus. God is good! I love the ministry of Young Life and I love high school kids. So it is a blessing to be a part of this! Thanks for your prayers. There are two different bilingual/private schools where we have Young Life and there are 7 of us that are volunteer leaders and teachers as well. God is moving in the lives of high school kids in the Dominican Republic. Keep praying for our ministry here in Jarabacoa.
This semester is coming to a close and Christmas is on the way! That brings many different emotions for me. There is a lot to do to finish the semester with my students and I have an unbelievable excitement to come home and visit friends and family. If anything being farther away has made me realize how much I really value and love my family and friends.
Lamentations 2:19
Oh yes. I love seeing God answer all the prayers. You are being used in big ways my friend. Can't wait to hear more! Praying for those sweet high school kiddos!
ReplyDelete