As most of you know I have been working at Frontier Ranch for almost 7 years. Those 7 years have been so life changing. I know more of who I am in Christ because of this place. I know more of who Jesus is because of this place. It has been an intrugal part in molding me into who I am today. But not just Frontier Ranch...it's been the people who have come in and out of my life since I have been here. My family and friends that live far away that have always encouraged me and prayed for me through this journey. Well, the journey is not over. But the road is changing. In October the Lord began to do something in my heart. I was starting to feel anxious and so I began to pray..."Lord, Here am I. Send me!" I didn't know what that meant at the moment, but that was all I knew to pray.
As of the beginning of August I will be living in Jarabacoa, Dominican Republic teaching 2nd grade at Doulos Discovery School. This is Doulos Discovery School's mission statement: "Equipping and educating servant leaders through Christian discipleship and expeditionary learning to impact the Dominican Republic." Check out the website: doulosdiscovery.org. I don't deserve to be a part of this, but the Lord has called and I am responding.
Many of you are probably asking these questions: Do you have a teaching degree? Do you know spanish? How did you decide to do this? Why the Dominican Republic? etc, etc. Well, I found out about Doulos in 2004 when I was in Jarabacoa at Pico Escondido (the Young Life camp in the Dominican Republic) on a Work Trip. I remember the stirring in my heart after I heard about Doulos, but soon after I got back from the trip I was offered a full time job at Frontier. Being the Retail Manager at Frontier Ranch was a job that I had always dreamed of. This year I was able to go back to Pico Escondido on another work trip with 3 other Young Life leaders and 8 high school kids from Buena Vista. Shelly Crowther, who was an intern at Frontier, works at Doulos and she came one day at lunch and shared about Doulos and the positions that they still needed to fill for next school year. I asked Shelly to begin praying with me about whether or not this opportunity was for me. I came back to the states and couldn't stop thinking about my time in the DR and the opportunities at Doulos. I prayed and prayed and prayed some more. I figured I would take a step of faith and apply to see what would happen. The Lord swung the door open so wide that I could not ignore it. I don't have a teaching degree and I don't speak spanish. But I know full well this is what the Lord has for the next part of my journey. He will provide!
From now on you can frequent this blog to keep up with what's going on with me!
Hasta luego -
Meredith
6 years ago
Myrtle! I did not know you had a blog. Fun stuff! I will have to add a link to my blog so that I can keep up with you - especially now that God is about to take you on what is sure to be an incredible journey. I am so excited for you! You'll be in my prayers. :)
ReplyDelete~Kate
So great, Meredith!! I will be praying for you and checking in on your blog frequently :) Love you!
ReplyDeleteWoo-hoo! I love how excited you sound about this. I know this was quite a decision! You will always have The Flying Saucer to thank for thinking this through, right?? Truly happy for you! :)
ReplyDeleteUMMM. HI.
ReplyDelete:)