Friday, August 21, 2009

The first week of school...

I don't even know how to begin this post.  I am sitting here in my classroom listening to the noise of the streets here in Jarabacoa and I am amazed!  Amazed that this really is the calling the Lord has on my life.  On Sunday night as I went to sleep I didn't have butterflies, but I surely was nervous as to what the first day of school as a teacher would look like.  And....it was HARD!  As I was walking I home I thought to myself, "I wonder if I called Frontier today if they would give me my job back."  I was on my knees (literally) Monday night begging the Lord to give me what I needed to be a teacher.  I needed patience to lovingly control these little ones and knowledge of how to teach them so that they would understand.  I also needed to miraculously learn spanish overnight.  (I have two new students that do not know any english)  And I knew that on Day 2 of school I would be getting another new student (Carlos) in my class.  Carlos is in a wheelchair and only has use of his right hand.  That threw me over the edge.  Not only was I nervous about teaching, but also having the responsibility to care for my new friend Carlos in a special way! 

Well, Day 2 was....AMAZING!  The Lord showed up.  As I sit here and think about the last 4 days of this week I am in tears.  The Lord gave me what I needed for this week.  I was able to figure out how to control my class in a calm, loving way.  These children already have my heart.  There are some that I have to extend more grace and more patience to than others, but they are precious.  I am excited about the subjects I am teaching.  I introduced science today and I think it is going to be my favorite subject to teach.  (Thanks Mom!)  I have an assistant (who speaks spanish and english).  His name is Daniel and he is the biggest blessing.  He helps me translate when necessary and he also works one on one with Carlos.  And Carlos is the coolest kid I know!  It is so amazing to watch these 7 and 8 year olds care for their friend that is different from them.  They LOVE him!  Yesterday in PE they were racing Carlos in his wheelchair.  It was a precious sight!

The weekend is here and I hope to get some rest, visit some friends, and do lots of laundry!  I am going to try to post pictures of my classroom and my friends soon.  Thanks for your prayers!  Keep them coming.   

3 comments:

  1. I had tears as I read this post. You are definitely in the right place. It was fun to see your expressions yesterday as you were able to share about your experiences. Keep loving kids and pursuing Him. Have a great weekend! Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is WOW! When I was a first-year teacher it took me an entire semester before I even began to figure out how to control my class! I am so amazed that you are already such a pro. I know your strength and ability come straight from the Lord. What a great testimony! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait until your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Meredith, this is SO great to hear. I thought about you and prayed for you on your first day of school, and how wonderful that God answered all of the prayers sent your way. Yes, teaching is one of the most difficult jobs on the planet, but I can tell you that it is also one of the most rewarding. At the end of the school year, you will look back on this week and be amazed at how much your kiddos have changed, and how you have grown as a teacher. Thank you SO much for the update. I can't wait to hear more!!! Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete