Haiti Update
The day before I came back was the day of the earthquake in Haiti. Needless to say, my heart was very anxious as I got on the plane to return. I couldn't believe the pictures I was seeing as I sat in the airport and stared at the TV. I didn't know what to expect when I arrived in Santiago as Port-au-Prince is only 200 miles from Jarabacoa. Everything here in the Dominican Republic is okay. Our French teacher here at Doulos is from Haiti and so he and a few missionaries in town went to Haiti in search of his family. He returned to let us know that his family was okay, but that the devastation was unreal. We also have a new student in 1st grade who came from Haiti, because her and her mother were the only two that made it from the earthquake. Here at Doulos our kids and the staff are coming up with creative ways, such as a talent show, to raise money for Haiti. It has been so amazing to see how this has broken down racial boundaries that used to lie between Haitians and Dominicans. The Lord is at work in this island and restoration is occurring.
New House
Most of you know that after Christmas I knew that the family I was living with would be moving. I was under the understanding that they were just moving to a new house in Jarabacoa, but the day I got back I found out they would be leaving and moving to Santiago. So that put me in the place to search for a new place to live. Transitioning back here wasn't easy and the tears were flowing as I got on the plane. I had heard that this was normal. That going back and forth between cultures can be hard. So this news of needing to find a house felt like a heavy burden. But God always provides. I found 3 awesome girls to live with and a great house. We moved in last week and are finally getting settled in. Slowly, but surely. Houses here don't come with appliances such as a fridge, stove, washing machine, etc. So we purchased those necessities first and now have a functioning house. It is such a great place. All of us that live there hope that it is a home where people feel welcomed and where the Lord can be glorified.
Retreat
I had the chance to go to a Women's Retreat last weekend and it was much needed. The focus on the retreat was community. Through this I realized that I have so many different communities in my life full of people that love me and care for me from afar. From old friends that I made in high school and college, all of the people that came in and out of my life in Colorado, my Frontier Ranch community and my amazing family. I was reminded of the blessings that the Lord has bestowed upon me. I am thankful for all of you in my life. Thanks for your prayers and support as I continue to walk through this journey!
Glad you are back and refreshed and getting all settled in. Hate that I missed seeing you when you were home. Thinking about you!
ReplyDeleteSO glad you made it back safely. I am sure it was overwhelming with all the devastation. You are doing a great thing for those kids. Yes we need a Farmer reunion as soon as Lari and Erin have these babies!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete