Sunday, March 7, 2010

Life is good and full

It is a beautiful day here in Jarabacoa today. Well, to me it is beautiful. To others it is yucky, cold, rainy and they wish the sun would come back. To me it is refreshing. It brings renewal and refreshment. I am sitting outside with my feet propped up looking into my green, lush, beautiful backyard as the rain drizzles and the birds sing. I am able to reflect on what has been going on since my arrival back in January.

School/teaching is going well. I am constantly learning. Here are some things that go through my head: Scratch that lesson plan....it was a bust! Next time, don't pass out the scissors until right before they need them....or else they will not hear any of the instructions. Okay, that lesson went well.....focus on the good and not the bad. And the biggest thought/focus this semester is: Don't stress out over the little things, the failures, the frustrations....remember you are here to LOVE and show the LOVE OF CHRIST to these little ones! I have had some really hard times with kids and some really precious moments! I am trying to hold tight to the precious moments!

I have also been blown away by my supporters. Each one of you! The way you are on your knees praying for me. The way you freely give of your resources. The way you encourage me. I don't deserve any of this. This is my prayer for each one of you: "The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine up you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace." Numbers 6:24-26

We (myself and my three roommates) are settled into our new house and loving it! I have also been blessed by incredible community here. These girls are already like family to me and this house feels like home. (I know that sounds cheesy, but for real.) It makes living here feel like a reality and not like a visit. So, if you find yourself thinking about a vacation...COME VISIT!

Young Life. Five other leaders and myself are still running after high school kids here in Jarabacoa. With hope to simply walk alongside them through this journey called life. To share with them the incredible love our Creator has for them. You can pray for our ministry and that the Lord would multiply our efforts and our time.

Still enjoying the daily adventures that are right in front of me. Crazy motorcycle rides, weekly hikes to beautiful waterfalls, trying out new food (had ribs this week....however, they didn't even come close to my brother's ribs...or that good ole texas bbq that I miss so much), making new friends, and practicing my spanish (and failing miserably everyday, but I am still learning)! So overall life is good and full!

The joy of my world 5 days a week! Check out those crazy faces.

Blessings,
Meredith

1 comment:

  1. Aww, LOVE this post! As crazy as this sounds, I feel a sense of priviledged honor to have visited this amazingly beautiful country, to have witnessed a tiny piece of what you describe. I so am marvelled at what you are doing, and humbled to call you a friend! ~and~ HOW did I not know about Project 365??!! I LOVE it, and will look at it daily! {Yay!} Keep up your amazing work Mer, can't wait to plan a get-together with us all in July!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete